In 2021, New Media Advocacy Project (NMAP) conducted research into how media trends related to COVID-19 inspired shifts on major human rights issues.
The objectives of the research were to:
1) Identify shifting societal values that may have emerged due to the disruption of regular life caused by COVID-19;
2) Study how these shifts present opportunities for centering human rights values as societies shape a new path to the future.
Our research included a discovery phase consisting of:
• Examining the top trending stories in six countries in Eurasia;
• Observing narratives and storytelling formats that have dominated COVID-19 pandemic coverage and identifying any issue areas that were being reportedon in different ways;
• Looking at any other media that signaled shifting values, narratives, or stories around issues or in people; and
• Interviewing experts from regional think tanks and research institutions who are well-acquainted with changing trends in the region.