Position Title: Communications and Storytelling Lead
Deadline for Application: May 20, 2022
New Media Advocacy Project (NMAP) is a team of narrative strategists working at the intersection of narrative change, movement building, and cultural engagement. Our roots are in human rights advocacy and visual storytelling, and we work with grassroots groups to understand the nuanced picture of beliefs, values, and behaviors that underlie entrenched and polarizing issues. The narrative change strategies that arise from this work are informed by the science of framing, impact measurement, and strategic distribution. Over the last decade, we’ve worked with more than 100 human and environmental rights groups in 40 countries to make measurable impact on a range of issues, from the death penalty to indigenous rights to abuses by multinational mining corporations.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
NMAP is committed to building and maintaining an inclusive, anti-racist, multicultural workplace. As a human and environmental rights organization that addresses systemic injustices in all facets of society, we strive to promote the kind of equitable world we fight for alongside our global partners. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are a core part of our mission and responsibility.
NMAP is seeking a Communications and Storytelling Lead to lead and manage our communications and strategic storytelling work across our organization and within our two programs: Beneath the Surface, which addresses the dire need for narrative change around environmental justice among communities and governments; and Rights Reframed, our narrative change and multimedia storytelling mentorship program for activists and storytellers. These programs are currently focused in Eurasia, Sub-Saharan Africa (Guinea, DRC, and Nigeria), The Caribbean (Haiti) and the United States (Appalachia).
- Play a key role in developing NMAP’s strategic communications plan, and in implementing the plan with a particular focus on growing awareness of our programs and enhancing engagement with key stakeholders;
- Manage NMAP’s digital and social media channels (website, newsletters, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, etc), including creating and editing content for these platforms;
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Program Director to develop training curricula for participants in NMAP’s programs;
- Conduct analyses of dominant media narratives relevant to NMAP’s projects, understand those narratives in the context of community values and beliefs, and make recommendations to program partners and funders for changing dominant narratives using strategic storytelling approaches and reframing;
- Lead culturally relevant workshops on narrative, audience engagement, storytelling, and media framing.
This is a hybrid role that encompasses both organizational strategic communications and training/mentorship for participants in our programs. The ideal candidate should have experience managing an organization’s corporate communications efforts, as well as be able to convey the practical principles of effective storytelling (including audience engagement, social media best practices, etc) in a training context.
Specific qualifications that we are looking for include:
- Fluency in English; fluency in other languages including French or Russian are a plus;
- Experience developing, leading and managing communications strategies for social change work;
- Experience using social media platforms to engage with audiences;
- Experience working on human rights and/or climate crisis issues; experience working in sub-Saharan Africa, Eurasia, or the United States on these issues is a plus;
- Experience with mentorship and training, particularly around program design, developing curricula, and developing and leading dynamic workshops;
- Demonstrated understanding of framing and strategic messaging and/or storytelling
Candidates from cultural backgrounds relevant to our project locations are highly encouraged to apply.
$65,000+ commensurate with experience and cost of living plus PTO, medical, dental and vision benefits.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications and Storytelling Lead.”